exhibitions

House of an Art Lover. Arts in Bohemia and Moravia 1870–1930

01.02.2010 - 25.04.2010

The exhibition jointly organised by the International Cultural Centre and the Olomouc Museum of Art comprised the works of art created in Bohemia and Moravia between 1870 and 1930 and under the patronage of the prominent connoisseurs and collectors of art of the period. The exhibition’s title was borrowed from the architectural competition launched by Alexander Koch, the German publisher of magazines on architecture and decorative art, in 1900. The event attracted some of the most outstanding contemporary architects and, consequently, became a symbol of the period characterised by a new understanding of beauty and synthesis of arts, an expression of architectural form and space, and, most importantly, a revival of interest in artistic craft and a birth of modern design. The exhibited works (paintings, prints, drawings, sculptures, glass, furniture, books, architectural models and designs, among others) were created following the commission of the Moravian and Bohemian connoisseurs and collectors of art such as the Primavesi, Reissig, Müller, and Tugendhat families. They testify to the commissioners’ aesthetic sensitivity and open-mindedness resulting in the creation of works of a thoroughly innovative and original character. The exhibition was not designed as a vivid illustration of the title since it did not offer a display of the interiors of the art lovers’ houses. On the contrary, its aim was to bring back the spirit of the period, to familiarise the visitors with the art of the period – in particular its style, character and iconography – which only hinted at the idea expressed in the exhibition’s title.

 

Join our exhibition virtual tour

Olomouc Museum of Art


OLOMOUC MUSEUM OF ART
(formerly the Gallery of Fine Art) was established on 1 January 1952 as a branch of the Regional Museum in Olomouc. After 1989 it became an independent institution and now operates (with its exhibitions, performances and educational programmes) in three different locations. The Museum is run by the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic.

THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART
presents both long-term and short-term exhibitions, mainly of 20th and 21st century art. The reconstruction of this building was begun in 1991 and took a decade. The museum has more than 66,000 exhibits (paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs, applied art and architectural designs), which makes it the third-biggest institution of its kind in the Czech Republic. Since 2007, preparations have been underway to transform this part of the Museum of Art into the Olomouc Central European Forum.


OLOMOUC ARCHDIOCESAN MUSEUM
was established in 1998 in cooperation with the Olomouc Archbishopric, as the first museum in the Czech Republic focused on spiritual culture. Its premises also include the Romanesque Palace of the Moravian Bishops near St. Wenceslas Basilica at Olomouc Přemyslid Castle. As of 1999, the northern part of the former Castle, i.e. the building of the chapter deanery and its courtyard, was gradually reconstructed for the needs of the Museum. It was opened to the public on 1 June 2006.

House for an Art Lover. Arts in Bohemia and Moravia 1870-1930

collective work

The catalogue comprises almost 200 photographs of items created at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries and associated with the activities undertaken in the given period by the connoisseurs and collectors of art in Bohemia and Moravia. Their passion made it possible to collect the precious works of art which today are a part of the permanent collections of the Czech museums or stay in private hands. The catalogue features the paintings and drawings of Alfons Mucha, Frantisek Kupka, Josef Váchal, Emil Fillia, art-nouveau glass and sculpture, Cubist furniture by Pavel Janák, famous “thonets” – curved chairs, armchairs and couches, architectural plans and drawings by Dušan Jurkovič, Josef Hoffmann and Lubomir Šlapeta. The beautiful illustrations are complemented with the scholarly papers on art and culture of the period by David Voda, Pavel Zatloukal and Alois Woldan.

home » return to the searching results »